Today I have a mani that I am so excited to share with you. Newspaper nails! I first saw this last spring and have been wanting to try it ever since. I'm very happy that it was included in the 2012 Mani Challenge because it gave me the opportunity to try it out.
I first started with a nude polish, I chose Essie Brooch The Subject from their Winter 2011 collection. I probably should have chosen a light grey, but hey - my nails, my choices, right? ;)
Brooch The Subject, 3 coats - no topcoat
I had slight application issues with Brooch The Subject, but nothing too dramatic. It wouldn't quite level out on my ring finger, but I could deal with that because I knew I would be newspapering over it and adding a coat of Seche Vite...
Newspaper ink + 1 coat of Seche Vite
This mani is ridiculously easy. Do you have either rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and a newspaper? Good, you can do this mani.
In the directions that I read online, it specifically said "rubbing alcohol" but I only had hydrogen peroxide on hand and decided, what the heck, might as well, right? I tried it and it was excellent. Here is my quick tutorial:
1. Paint your nails a light base colour, let dry.
2. Cut out little squares of newspaper.
3. Get a piece of paper towel wet with rubbing alcohol/hydrogen peroxide.
4. Press your newspaper square onto the wet paper towel, ink side facing the wet towel.
5. Gently press the newspaper square onto your nail lightly pressing on all sides.
6. Remove, let dry, add your topcoat of choice.
Important note, do not get your hands/nails wet before applying your topcoat: the newspaper ink will come right off! Also, your fingertips will probably be a bit inky, so wash your hands after your topcoat dries. I tried doing some cuticle clean up with polish remover and it was a no-go. Simple soap and water worked best.
I LOVED THIS MANI! Did you?